This column originally ran in The Standard-Times on Dec. 9, 2005.
Jays are primed to shake things up
By Nick Tavares
Wheeling and dealing went into overdrive this week in the majors, and the most exciting part of baseball's offseason went into fourth gear. The Red Sox shipped shortstop Edgar Renteria to Atlanta, the Marlins dismantled 80 percent of their 2003 World Series winner, the Rangers finally traded Alfonso Soriano and Grady Little landed on his feet in Los Angeles, just to name a few notables.
But the best part of this offseason so far? The Toronto Blue Jays.
Sure, they've massively overspent on pitchers A.J. Burnett and B.J. Ryan, but they've bolstered an already decent pitching staff. Burnett will join Roy Halladay, Ted Lilly and Gustavo Chacin to form one of the better rotations in the American League, while Ryan gives them a more dependable closer than Miguel Batista.
And on Wednesday, they acquired slick-hitting first baseman Lyle Overbay from the Milwaukee Brewers to bolster an already solid lineup.
What does it all mean? Well, first it means that their payroll has jumped from $45 million to $75 million for next season. But, more importantly, it means the Red Sox and Yankees may be reaching the end of their respective reigns.
The Yankees are saddled with some increasingly unattractive contracts (Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, etc.), and after reports this week that the team lost as much as $80 million this season, they're not in a position to add more salary to mend their roster woes.
The Red Sox may find themselves forced to trade their Hall of Fame-worthy slugger Manny Ramirez in the coming weeks, and with uber-agent Scott Boras representing Johnny Damon, there's no guarantee they'll be able to secure their center fielder and leadoff man supreme.
Baseball's two royalty teams, though still loaded with cash, are each entering uncertain periods. Their futures are no longer guaranteed. Even without the Blue Jays trying to make a run at the title, the Angels, A's, White Sox (the champs, if you recall), Twins, Indians and Rangers are all capable of making a run next year in the American League under the right circumstances. They're the hunted, and the Jays have entered the fray of teams with the Northeast in their crosshairs.
"We're just really happy that A.J. decided to join us," Blue Jays general manager J.P. Riccardi said in a press conference announcing the Burnett signing Tuesday. "And we're looking forward to seeing him and Halladay come out next time we have to walk out in Fenway and Yankee Stadium."
"It's going to be a good run, it's going to be a fun time," Burnett said. "As far as I'm concerned, it's a challenge and I'm in. So sign me up, I'm ready to go."
You hear that? That's cockiness. And it's great for baseball.
All that said, though, the Jays aren't a shoo-in for a postseason spot yet. Burnett and Ryan could bomb, which would set the team back another 10 years or so. But it's hard not to be happy for a former world champion, so down on its luck lately, making another grab for the glory.
So, here's to the team with the ugliest uniform in the majors winning the division next year. Or maybe in 2007. Either way, change is on the horizon.
Now, how refreshing does that sound?
Nick Tavares is a columnist for The Standard-Times. E-mail him at ntavares@s-t.com
This story appeared on Page C3 of The Standard-Times on December 9, 2005.





